Saturday, May 3, 2008

Double standards?

After a week of being in Blore and getting adjusted to the heat and powercuts,my mind is on overdrive just observing things around me.
The one that stands out the most is the reaction of people around us,towards us.
Everybody is happy we are back,we get praises that our decision is the best,and it will help the kids in future.
Some of the things they observe is,my kids cannot speak kannada,but they understand when spoken to.
Another is,they dont know hindi songs,bollywood,bhangra,ShahRukh Khan,cricket,and everything else that is so hot now a days.
The reason being,my husband and I have not encourage my kids to watch all that and we dont either.
I dont see any entertainment value in it and feel they will not miss anything by not knowing all that.
Its sometimes frustrating that people,even our own relatives set double standards when it comes to my kids and the other local kids born and brought up here.
Here are some examples.
My kids don't speak kannada,and I get a long lecture everyday from the maid to my in laws to my parents to my neighbours that I dont talk to my kids in kannada and hence they dont know how to speak.NOT TRUE..
At the same time,I observe that other kids in our family dont speak either,but they are off the hook.Nobody even observes that the kids raised here are not speaking,but they have expectations from my kids.
I came here,hoping my kids will be able to easily learn my kannada culture,learn about our classical arts and be in an environment where all that will be encouraged.
I was wrong.
All I hear is Playstation,NIKE,latest games,what happened to Britney Spears yesterday,how short was Mallika Sherawat's skirt and so on...
It is frustrating how Bollywood and tabloid culture had taken over the city.
People are obsessed over celebrities and newspapers print pictures that would never appear in a local newspaper in US.
But all that goes unnoticed by people living here.
As I had said earlier,looks like people ,especially old have taken to all this better than I am able to.
It only makes my job much harder now.
I need to sift out all the rubbish and protect my kids from the nonsense around and try to
guide them towards my goal of teaching them our true culture and traditions.
I will keep posting on my degree of success here,whenever I can.

No comments: